Added by Serg
INGREDIENTS: Serves 6
- 2 Chicken breasts, skin-on, bone-in
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter
- 1 cup (150 g) yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup (75 g) celery, diced
- ½ cup (75 g) carrots, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dry white wine
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) dried thyme
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cold water
- 2 tbsp (13 g) cornstarch
- ¼ cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 1-2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup (75 g) frozen peas
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh thyme
- 2 cups (240 g) flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 4 tbsp (60 g) butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped dill
- 1 cup (240 ml) of milk
- Preheat oven to 425F/(218C).
- Roast chicken on a baking sheet for 30 mins or until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large soup pot. Add the onion, celery, carrots, season with salt and pepper to taste. Sautee in the butter and then turn flame down to medium-low, cover pot and allow vegetables to cook for 5-7 mins until tender.
- Remove lid. Add the wine and dried thyme. Cook until wine is reduced in half. Then add chicken broth. Bring broth to a rolling simmer. Meanwhile in a small bowl add the cornstarch and mix with the water to create a slurry.
- Once broth is simmering add the slurry to the pot and stir as the mixture thickens.
- Once you’ve reached desired thickness. Turn off the heat. Add the heavy cream, and stir, then add Worcestershire sauce, fresh thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and then add the frozen peas. Set aside to cool.
- Remove the skin off the chicken and shred the chicken with two forks. Add the chicken to the pot and stir to combine.
- Transfer chicken to a heat safe casserole.
- Meanwhile, make the biscuits. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, whish together. Add butter and work flour and butter together with your hands until a coarse meal forms. Add herbs and whisk to combine. Add milk. Stir into a dough and allow to rest for 5 minutes in order for the baking power to activate.
- Then using an ice cream scooper, scoop a mound of the biscuits over the casserole, spacing out to cover it. You should be able to fit 2 rows of 3 biscuits.
- Bake casserole in a Pre-Heated oven at 425F (218C) for 35-40 mins until casserole is bubbling and biscuits have risen and are golden brown.
NOTE: Casserole filling can be made the day ahead and refrigerated. Day off bake the biscuits and bake!
- Casserole recipes chicken