The most important meal of the day supposedly is breakfast, unfortunately, cereal is so over-processed that they are no longer good for you. Oats, on the other hand, have an impressive nutritional profile. Steel-cut oats are preferable as they have fewer calories and more fiber resulting in lower GI. They will keep you satisfied until lunchtime. Buy organic if you can afford it as it's well worth it, with the superpower nutritional ingredients of this recipe you’ll kickstart your energetic day on a healthy note. Enjoy this super healthy breakfast as it tastes great too!
- Half cup organic steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp raw almonds
- 2 tbsp sunflower kernels
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 cups of coconut water
- Half cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 ripe banana
- Add all your dry ingredients to a saucepan followed by coconut water. Place on stove, mix well and bring to the boil. Turn down heat to extreme low so you have a very gentle simmer. Leave for 20 minutes. (if heat is too high add more liquid or the bottom will stick)
- 5 minutes before the 20 minutes are up, add the blueberries and cook for five minutes more if they are frozen. If the blueberries are fresh, only add them 1 minute before.
- Peel the banana and split through the center twice so you get 4 pieces each time you slice it. This will give you diced cuts.
- Turn off the heat once cooked, then add the banana off heat. Mix well and serve.
Happy healthy breakfast!
Music by: http://www.epidemicsound.com
- Healthy breakfast ideas