Added by Savor the Best
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or 1 spray of cooking oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 pounds carrots, cleaned and cut in 1/2 inch segments
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- Plain low-fat yogurt or sour cream
- chopped chives
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until soft then add the garlic, tomato paste, carrots, chicken broth, nutmeg, and lemon zest.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot and cook for about 30 or 40 minutes until the carrots are tender. Remove from heat.
- Add the lemon juice to the pot and either uses an immersion blender to puree the soup or scoop the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. (if you use a blender allow the soup to cool down first before blending it)
- If you prefer a thinner soup just add a bit more broth until it is thin enough.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and some chopped chives.
- Carrot Soup