Added by Serg
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 10 crimini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, diced
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: dried basil, smoked paprika, salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 10 to 15 baby potatoes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon EACH: paprika, dried basil
- chopped chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place baby potatoes into a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until they are fork tender. Remove from water and cool while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Render the bacon until crispy, then remove onto paper towels to cool and absorb excess oil. Once cooled, diced bacon. Into the same hot pan, add the sliced mushrooms and saute for 5 to 7 minutes until browned. Remove them and set aside.
- Into the same pan, add the shallots, garlic and red bell pepper. Saute over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Combine all of the ingredients together: shredded chicken, cheese, cream, diced bacon, mushrooms, onion-pepper mixture and the first set of spices. Season with salt and pepper. Fold everything together until nicely coated. Spread mixture into the bottom of an oven-safe dish. Do not compact the mixture; you want to layer it loosely.
- Prepare the crushed potatoes: toss the potatoes in olive oil, season with salt, paprika, and basil. Using a potato crusher or a large fork, press the potatoes to flatten them. Place them on top of the prepared chicken filling. Sprinkle more cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the cheese is all melted and bubbling at edges. Garnish with chopped chives and serve hot with a simple side salad or sliced avocado.
- Casserole Recipes