Added by Serg
- 3 cans of clams in clam juice
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 cups potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup half and half (or cream if you like a really thick chowder)
Croutons for garnish
- Open the can of clams and drain them. Reserve the clam juice.
- Dice the vegetables.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter and saute vegetables for five minutes with the spices.
- Next, add 2 more tbsp of butter and let it melt.
- Sprinkle flour and stir really well to incorporate.
- Add in the reserved clam juice. Give it a quick stir then pour in chicken stock.
- Add bay leaves and let the soup simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Next, add half and half or cream.
- Finally, throw in the clams and simmer only until clams are heated through. If you cook the clams for too long, they will get tough.
- Serve hot, top with croutons and enjoy!