Added by Serg
Crispy Pork Carnitas (Mexican Slow Cooked Pulled Pork) is a winner! The closest recipe to authentic Mexican Carnitas (NO LARD), with a perfect crisp finish!
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Servings: 12
- Calories: 228 kcal
- Author: Karina - Cafe Delites
- 4 pounds (or 2 kg) skinless, boneless pork butt (or shoulder)
- 3-4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (or Mexican oregano)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 large brown or white onion , cut into wedges
- 8 cloves garlic , smashed
- 2 limes , juiced
- 2 large oranges , juiced (or 3/4 cup natural orange juice)
- 3/4 cup coke (Original or Mexican coke is ideal)*
- 2 bay leaves
- Rinse and pat dry pork with a paper towel.
- In the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker, add pork, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, onion, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, coke, and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours, or high heat for 5-6 hours (until the meat falls apart).
- Remove pork and shred with two forks (DO NOT DISCARD THE LIQUID!)
TO CRISP IN THE OVEN
- Transfer the pork to a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking oil spray (or lined with aluminium foil or parchment paper).
- Pour 1 ladle full (about 1 cup) of the liquid from the slow cooker over the pork to season.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes on high heat until the meat becomes golden browned and crispy on the edges.
TO CRISP ON STOVE
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a non stick pan or cast iron skillet over high heat.
- When pan is hot, add pork in batches of two or three, and sear until just beginning to crisp.
- Ladle over about 1/2 cup of left over liquid, and continue cooking until the juices begin to reduce down and the meat is nice and crispy!
- Season with a little extra salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour over more of the slow cooker juices once the meat has crisped for added flavour, just before serving!
- Serve in Tacos, Burritos, or in a salad!
- Prep Time—10 mins
- Cook Time—10 hrs
- Total Time—10 hrs 10 mins
- Pulled Pork Tacos