Added by Serg
for 8 servings
- ½ cup raw cashew (65 g)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (10 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
ROASTED GARLIC “CHEESE” SAUCE
- 1 head garlic
- olive oil
- 3 cups cauliflower florets (900 g)
- 2 cups butternut squash (410 g), peeled and chopped into 1-inch (2 cm) cubes
- ½ sweet onion, sliced
- 1 cup carrot (120 g), sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (10 g), optional
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup reserved cooking liquid (60 mL)
- ¾ cup almond milk (180 mL)
- 16 oz macaroni (455 g), prepared
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the top edge of 1 head of garlic off, revealing each of the cloves inside the skin.
- Without removing the skin, place the head of garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the garlic up in the foil, making sure it is tightly closed.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the garlic is browned and soft. Set aside to let cool. (When you’re ready to add it to the “cheese” sauce, simply squeeze the cloves out of the skin from the uncut end of the bulb, using your fingers.)
- To make the dairy-free “Parmesan,” add the cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and garlic powder to a food processor or blender. Pulse until you’ve reached a crumbly, “Parmesan”-like consistency. Set aside.
- To make the “cheese” sauce, add the cauliflower, butternut squash, onion, and carrots to a large pot of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and drain, reserving ¼ cup (60 ml) of cooking liquid.
- To a food processor or blender, add the drained vegetables, roasted garlic cloves, lemon juice, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, turmeric, smoked paprika, nutmeg, salt, pepper, reserved cooking liquid, and almond milk. Blend until completely smooth, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- Pour the sauce over cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a large baking dish and sprinkle with “parmesan” and more paprika, if desired.
- Broil on high for 5-10 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Get the recipe: https://tasty.co/recipe/dairy-free-mac-n-cheese
- Healthy vegetarian recipes