Added by Serg
This is a cooked custard ice cream - so it takes a little bit of planning... but the results are well worth it! Nothing, we repeat, nothing beats home-made ice cream!
Makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups (500 mL) 35% cream
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 ounces (150g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk (Homo or 2%)
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- Heat 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder in a saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend in the cocoa.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at a very low boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and mix in the chopped chocolate, stirring until it's smooth.
- Stir in the remaining cup of cream and pour the mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan completely.
- In the same saucepan warm the milk, sugar, and salt.
- While that's heating, whisk together the egg yolks.
- Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula (around 170°F on an instant-read thermometer).
- Pour this custard mixture into the chocolate and stir until smooth, then stir in the vanilla.
- Refrigerate overnight, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- ice cream