Added by Minimalist Baker
AMAZING Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Lasagna! Made with a hearty sauce, easy nut cheese, and no-boil noodles. Just 10 ingredients required!
- 1 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake (optional)
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 25-oz jars favorite marinara sauce (or DIY* // we like Organico Bella brand)
- 1-2 tsp dried Italian herbs (basil and oregano // optional)
- 1-2 tsp sweetener of choice (such as maple syrup, cane sugar, or stevia // optional)
- 2 ¼ cups raw macadamia nuts (or sub slivered blanched almonds or raw cashews soaked for 1 hour in hot water, then drained)
- 3 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast (plus more to taste)
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 scant tsp sea salt
- 2/3 – 1 cup water (if using soaked cashews, add 1 Tbsp / 15 ml water at a time)
- 1 9-oz box gluten-free lasagna noodles (we like Capello’s brand)
FOR SERVING optional
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh herbs (such as basil or parsley)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Set out a large baking dish (9×13 inch or similar size) and lightly grease.
- Begin by preparing the sauce. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, garlic, red pepper flake (optional), beef, and salt and begin sautéing, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes, or until meat is browned. Use a spoon to break meat into small pieces.
- In the meantime, if using noodles that require boiling, bring a large pot of water to a boil (if using no-boil noodles, skip this step). Once boiling, add a healthy pinch of salt and your lasagna noodles (or other pasta shapes). Cook according to package instructions to achieve an al dente texture — tender with a little bite. Then drain and set aside. Optional: Drizzle pasta with a little oil to prevent sticking.
- To the pot, add your marinara sauce and stir to combine. Cook on low for about 10 minutes to marry the flavors. Then taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding salt to taste or red pepper flake for heat. You could also add dried Italian spices and/or sweetener of choice to balance the flavors at this time (optional). Turn off heat and set aside.
- Next, make your "cheese." Add macadamia nuts (or sub soaked cashews) to a food processor or a high-speed blender along with lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and sea salt and mix/blend into a loose paste.
- Add a lesser amount of water (2/3 cup or 120 ml as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Continue mixing, scraping down sides as needed. Then add more water — 1 Tbsp (15 ml) at a time — until thick paste forms. I find I get the best texture results with a food processor, but a blender can work, too. It just generally requires more scraping and more liquid. For texture, you’re looking for spreadable soft " cheese.”
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, salt for saltiness, lemon juice for acidity/brightness, or garlic powder for garlic flavor. Blend again to combine.
- To begin assembly, add a thin layer of marinara sauce to your baking dish. Spread to ensure even distribution. Then add a layer of the cooked pasta noodles (or uncooked noodles if using no-boil). Top with a thin layer (roughly 1/3 of the mixture) of your nut cheese and spread into an even layer.
- Add another thin layer of marinara sauce and use a spoon to spread over the cheese layer to coat. Then add another layer of noodles. Top with another 1/3 of the cheese and spread into an even layer.
- Add another layer of marinara sauce and spread into an even layer. Then top with another layer of noodles and remaining 1/3 of the cheese, and spread into an even layer. Top with another layer of marinara sauce and spread into an even layer.
- Top with another layer of noodles and, finally, remaining sauce. Optional: Top with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese.
- Cook on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 40-45 minutes uncovered, or until the sauce is bubbly and/or the edges are browned.
- Carefully remove from the oven and let cool 5-10 minutes before serving. Then slice, serve and enjoy. We recommend garnishing with additional vegan parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil or parsley. See notes for freezing instructions.
Full Recipe: https://minimalistbaker.com/classic-gluten-free-lasagna-dairy-free/
- Appetizer Recipes