Added by Serg
- 1 pound of fish cakes store-bought or homemade
- 4 or 5 wooden skewers
- 12 cups of water (3 liters)
- 200 grams (about ½ pound) of cleaned and unpeeled Korean radish (or daikon)
- 20 large dried anchovies, guts removed
- 1 cup onion, cut into small pieces
- 1 sheet dried kelp (7″x 8″)
- 2 ts soy sauce
- 1 ts salt
for yangnyeomjang (dipping sauce)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ ts sugar
- 1 ts hot pepper flakes
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green onion,chopped
- 1 green chili pepper (or jalapeño), chopped
- 1 ts toasted sesame oil
- 1 ts toasted sesame seeds
- ; Put the water in a large pot. Peel the radish and cut it into 1 inch cubes (or balls) and put them into a soup strainer (gukmulmang). Put the strainer into the pot. If you don’t have a soup strainer, you can use soup sock or cheese cloth.
- ; Add the the onion, dried kelp, and the leftover bits of radish (including the skin) to the pot. Bring it to a boil over high heat for 20 minutes with the lid closed.
- ; While it’s boiling, cook the anchovies in the microwave for 1 minute (or sauté without oil in a pan for a few minutes).
- ;Add the dried anchovies to the pot and boil for another for 20 minutes, uncovered. This will allow some of the fishy smell of the anchovies to evaporate.
- ; Remove the pot from the heat and strain. Take out the cooked radish cubes from the soup strainer and set aside. You’ll get about 8 cups of stock. Add the soy sauce and salt and mix well.
Add the fish cakes
- Stick 5 or 6 fishcake pieces on a skewer, and make 4 or 5 skewers. Put them in a shallow pot and add enough broth to totally submerge the fishcakes.
- ;Bring to a boil for 10 to 15 minutes until the fishcakes are soft.
Make the yangnyeomjang (dipping sauce
- ;Combine soy sauce, hot pepper flakes, green onion, green chili pepper, garlic, sugar, sesame oil, and sesame seeds in a small mixing bowl.
- ;Prepare individual bowls and plates, a ladle for the soup, and a small spoon for the dipping sauce. Serve hot and scoop some of the soup, with a skewer, into a bowl for each person.
- When they eat a fish cake from the skewer they can put some dipping sauce on it first. Delicious!
Enjoy the recipe! Let me know how it turns out.
- Fish and seafood