Added by Serg
Beef Stroganoff - Serves 4
- 1 pound tenderloin or sirloin
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ small onion or shallot, finely chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup brandy or cognac
- ¼ cup beef stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- paprika (for garnish)
- fresh dill, chopped (optional)
- Slice the beef into thin strips (freezing the beef for 30 minutes ahead of time makes slicing much easier).
- Pre-heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the sauté pan and brown the beef in batches, setting it aside when it is nicely browned.
- Add the remaining butter and oil to the pan and sauté the onion for a couple minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme and continue to sauté until nicely browned – another 5 minutes or so. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Add the brandy and using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits that have formed on the bottom of the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the beef stock and simmer for a minute or two.
- Return the beef to the pan, along with any resting juices. Simmer for a minute or two, just to reheat the beef and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the sour cream and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over egg noodles and sprinkle with a little paprika and chopped fresh dill, if desired.