Added by Serg
This casserole is an easy one dish meal great for dinner at home or to bring to a pot luck. You can make it your own by varying the vegetables and the type of meat or leave the meat out and make the dish vegetarian.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef, lamb, chicken or turkey
- 1/4 c white wine
- 1 28 oz can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp each dried oregano and thyme
- 12 oz (3/4 lb) cavatappi or other tubular pasta
- 8 oz mozzarella, diced into small cubes
- parmesan cheese
- Saute onion, carrot, celery and salt in olive oil until wilted.
- Add garlic and stir until tender.
- Add meat and stir until cooked through. (If the meat is high in fat, cook separately and drain grease before adding to vegetables.)
- Add wine, tomatoes and spices.
- Simmer while cooking the pasta.
- Cook the pasta one less minute than directed.
- Drain and add to meat mixture.
- Add half of the mozzarella and mix well.
- Pour into 2.5 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and some parmesan on top.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Casserole recipes pasta