Added by RecipeTin
A creamy mushroom sauce for steak, chops, chicken, pasta, baked potatoes.... imagine the possibilities!
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g / 10 oz mushrooms, sliced (Note 1)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) white wine or rose, dry (Note 2 subs)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy / thickened cream (Note 3)
- 1/2 cup parmesan, finely grated (30g / 1 oz) (Note 4)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1/4 - 1/2 tsp dried)
- Heat oil and melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and leisurely cook until golden brown - takes about 4 to 5 minutes. No need to stir constantly.
- Just before they're done, add the garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until garlic is golden (~ 1 minute).
- Add white wine - it will sizzle! Stir, scraping the bottom of the skillet, for 1 minute or until mostly evaporated.
- Add broth, cream, and parmesan. Stir, then lower heat to medium so the sauce is simmering - do not boil rapidly, the cream may split.
- Stir occasionally and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes until it thickens. It shouldn't be super thick, this is a rich sauce.
- Stir through thyme, adjust salt and pepper to taste. Remove from stove.
- Serve over steak or other cooked protein. Toss through pasta, stuff into baked potatoes, serve with roast beef, chicken or pork, smothered omelets. See in post for more ideas!
- Mushroom sauce