The potato cheese casserole, known in Italy as potato gateau, is a rustic and tasty main course made with potatoes, enriched by eggs, spices, ham and cheese.
Hi everyone and welcome to the GialloZafferano kitchen: today we'll be preparing together the potato cheese pie, or potato gateau, a rustic baked dish made with potatoes mixed with other ingredients, which I'm sure your kids will enjoy.
Let's see what we'll need:
- ¼ lb (120 g) of ham
- 3,5 oz (100 g) of smoked provola cheese
- grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ tbsp (20 g) of butter
- 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs • 3,5 oz (100 g) of mozzarella
- 2 medium eggs
- pepper / salt
- ¾ cup (80 g) of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2,2 lbs (1 kg) of potatoes, yellow or red
Let's see how to make it:
- The first thing to do is boil the potatoes, so wash the potatoes, leave them whole with the skin on, and place them in a pot filled with cold water and coarse salt. The cooking time for medium-sized potatoes is 30 minutes, with a normal pot, or 15 minutes, with a pressure cooker.
- While the potatoes are boiling, we can move on to the preparation of the other ingredients, so dice the mozzarella and put it in a colander to drain the excess water, then chop the ham and dice the provola cheese. If you prefer, you can use another kind of non-smoked kneaded-paste cheese.
- Once cooked, peel the potatoes while still hot, and run them through a vegetable mill or potato masher. Now, put them in a large bowl and add ½ cup (50 g) of the grated Parmesan cheese, the 2 eggs, the provola cheese, the ham, the mozzarella, and finally salt and pepper to taste.
- When all the ingredients are blended together, grease an oven dish with butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Now put in the mixture, spread it evenly and sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese, about ¼ cup (30 g). Now dot small knobs of butter over the top... and bake at 390°F for 40 minutes; during the last 5 minutes turn the grill on, to form a nice golden brown crust.
40 min. -- 390°F (220°C)
5 min. -- under the grill
Our potato cheese pie is finally ready; after taking out of the oven, allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes to set, then you can serve it to your guests. A kiss from Sonia and see you next video recipe!
- Potato casserole