Creamy potatoes, crunchy zucchini and tangy tomatoes combine really well to make a dense, delicious soup. And carbohydrate-rich potatoes convert any dish into a meal, all by itself. This soup too, can make a quick dinner if you are not in the mood for a proper meal. Cheese balls add a nice surprise to every spoonful. This also makes a wonderful appetizer to a formal dinner. Garnish with sprig of parsley to give the perfect finishing to this tangy, crunchy soup.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 mins
Makes 6 servings
For The Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped onions
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cabbage
For The Soup
- 1 1/2 cups peeled potato cubes
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped zucchini (unpeeled)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) powder
- 1/2 cup grated processed cheese
For The Garnish
- a sprig of parsley
For the vegetable stock
- Combine 5 cups of water, cauliflower florets, onions, carrots and cabbage and boil on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes or till they release flavour.
- Strain using a strainer. Keep the stock aside and discard the vegetables.
For the soup
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pan, add the garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the zucchini, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the cheese on a plate and mash it well with your fingers.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and roll each portion into a small cheese ball.
- Serve immediately garnished with cheese balls and parsley.
- Potato Soups