• 1 cup fine sooji, semolina
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 4 tablespoons ghee, clarified butter
• 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
• Approx. 8 drops of yellow food color
• Pinch of saffron, kesar
• 1/8 teaspoon crushed cardamom, ilachi
• 3-1/3 cups water
• 1 tablespoon sliced pistachios, pista for garnishing
Melt 1 tablespoon of ghee in a frying pan on low medium heat. Add the sooji, and almonds and roast stirring continuously, sooji should be light golden brown in color and will have a light sweet aroma. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
Add the syrup slowly, as you add the syrup to sooji water will splatter. Make sure there are no lumps. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously. Add more water if halwa becomes very thick.
Add the remaining ghee 1 tablespoon at a time and cook for 3-4 minutesstirring continuously. Rava Kesari will start leaving the sides of frying pan. Rava Kesari will have a texture of thick batter.