Anthill cake (Muraveinik) is a traditional Russian cake made with biscuit crumbs, walnuts and caramel/dulce de leche cream. This recipe is pretty easy to make and requires only basic ingredients. This caked named anthill because it resembles an anthill. This delicious cake is perfect for Christmas and holiday season or just for sweet weekend mornings with a cup of tea.
- For the dough:
- 160g (5.6oz) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar
- 85g (3oz) Sour cream
- 2¾ cups (345g) Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- For the cream:
- 400g (14.1oz) dulce de leche/caramel
- 180g (6.4oz) butter, softened
- 100g (3.5oz) Walnuts, roughly chopped
- Chocolate for decoration
- Poppyseed for decoration
- Make the dough: In a large bowl combine melted butter and sugar. Add sour cream, vanilla extract and stir until combined. sift in flour and baking powder, knead until smooth dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using a box grater, grate the dough in a single and even layer over the parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the cream: In a large bowl cream the butter, add dulce de leche and beat until incorporated. take a cooled biscuit and brake it into small and medium pieces, add to the cream, add crushed walnuts and fold until combined.
- Mound the mixture onto a serving plate. Using your hands, form the mixture into an anthill. Sprinkle with poppy seeds or chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Printable recipe: https://www.thecookingfoodie.com/
- Cake Recipes