Don’t they look like real Zebra stripes? Zebra cake as pretty as it is delicious, not overly sweet, soft, light, fluffy and unique looking cupcakes.
Makes 9 cupcakes
• 3, large egg yolks
• 20g, 2 tbsp sugar
• 20g, 4 tbsp corn oil
• 25g, 4 tbsp milk
• 6g, 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 50g, 6 tbsp cake flour, sieved
• 3 egg whites
• 1/4 tsp cream of tartar or 1/2 tsp lemon or lime juice
• 40g, 4 tbsp sugar
• 1 tbsp cocoa powder, sieved
1) In a bowl, mix (A) egg yolks, sugar, corn oil, vanilla and milk, Sift in the cake flour and whisk until smooth.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk (B) egg whites until foamy then add cream of tartar and sugar a little bit at a time until, firm to stiff peaks, the peak stands straight up when the beaters are lifted from the mixture about 5 minutes.
3) Folding cake batter into a whites, and mix until incorporated.
4) Pour half of the batter into a separate bowl, and sift the (C) cocoa powder, mix until well combined. Spoon 1-2 teaspoon of the plain batter into the centre of the cake pan. then add 1-2 teaspoon of the cocoa batter on top and repeat until all batter has been used.
5) To prepare a water bath. Pour enough cold water in a larger pan. Bake in no preheated oven, 150°C for 25 minutes or until the cake is set in the centre. Baking time it will depend on the size of your cake pan. To make sure your cake to succeed even better. It is best to use an oven thermometer and you'll always have the exact temperature of your oven in mind.
1)It's important to follow exactly this recipe and baking at the right temperature.
2) Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature and don't remove hot cake out of a baking pan. otherwise the cake could fall apart and crack on top. Baking cake at a lower temperature will help the cake rise much higher and bake more evenly.
3) Please understand that everyone's oven work differently. You should also check the temperature of your oven. if not, your cake won't rise well.
4) You can test the cake by poking it with a skewer, if it's cooked the skewer will come out clean. if not pop it back in the oven and bake until it's ready.
5) Folding egg whites into a cake batter. Do not stir and never use an electric mixer.
6) Use a clean, dry bowl, free of yolk and any other oil or grease while beating egg whites. Do not over or under-beat the egg whites.