Added by Serg
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 2-4 hours (*See Note)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (or olive oil)
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (or any mushrooms)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon low sodium tamari (sub soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced or sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2-3 med/large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (*See Note)
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium (*See Note)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (gluten-free or regular)
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons kelp granules (*see note for a sub)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt more to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (*optional)
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Blend the soy milk & cashews (discard soaking water) together until very smooth. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter.
- When heated, add mushrooms and sauté until the liquid evaporates (about 3 minutes).
- Now add 1 clove minced garlic and soy sauce.
- Sauté until the mushrooms are tender & lightly browned.
- About 2-4 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms and set aside.
- Wipe out the same pot and return to stove. Heat oil & butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add celery, carrots, garlic & thyme. Sauté about 5-7 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Add wine and turn heat up to medium-high to simmer. Once simmering turn heat back to medium. Cook wine down, about 3-5 minutes. Stir often.
- Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in broth and add potatoes, bay leaf, kelp granules, and salt. Bring to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Turn heat to medium-low and slowly stir in cashew cream. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Cook for 3-4 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms, lemon juice, and fresh cracked pepper.
- Place in your favorite soup bowls & garnish with fresh parsley. Side with crackers or crispy bread. Enjoy!