Added by The Toasted Pine Nut
These Vegetarian Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers are the perfect meat-free and gluten-free dinner! Perfect for meal prep or meatless Monday!
- 3 green bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 sweet onion
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice the peppers in half, scoop out the seeds and rinse them.
- Place the peppers on a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and use your hands to coat the peppers in oil.
- Turn them flat side down and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until softened.
- While the peppers are roasting, spiralize the sweet potato on the smallest noodle setting.
- Then, place half of the noodles into the food processor with the blade and pulse until they are chopped up and smaller than rice/couscous consistency.
- Heat the last two tablespoons of avocado oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and sauté, stirring frequently until caramelized, about 7 – 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato rice to the pan along with the ketchup, minced garlic, coconut sugar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, mustard powder, and sea salt.
- Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add two tablespoons of water and continue to cook for another 3 – 5 minutes.
- When the peppers are done roasting, use tongs to flip them over and stuff them with the sweet potato “meat.”
- Divide the cheddar cheese on top of each pepper and place in the oven for an additional 3 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with cilantro or your favorite herb for garnish.